MosaicBlues: Don't Mess with Dyonisos - or the Birth of a Passion .entry-content { font-size:25px !important; }

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Don't Mess with Dyonisos - or the Birth of a Passion



When Thracian King Lycurgus - whose name means : “The one who keeps the wolves away” -  heard that the God of Wine Dionysos was in his kingdom, he decided to attack him. As he tried to kill Ambrosia, one of the followers of the God, she became a vine that twined around the enraged king and restrained him, eventually killing him.

In 1967, in Saint Romain en Gal, a small city 30 km south of Lyon, France, excavations the building site of the new town High School revealed the existence of a Gallo-Roman city. A remarkable find it was indeed ! For years archaeologists and historians believed a Roman settlement had existed on the west bank of the Rhone river, but what they found there was a full size town.

In July of that year – I was 10 – my mother took me to the site were the actual archaeologists were working. We spent several hours of visits – the guide was one of the archaeologists, he was passionate and showed and explained to us houses, temple, theaters...

That very day, I had my first encounter with Roman mosaics. The most beautiful of the pieces found in Saint Romain was a depiction of Lycurgus being smothered by the vine.


Love at first sight...

Life being what happens to you when you plan differently, it took me about 37 years of various endeavours over 3 continents before I could go back to my childhood love.

Although I create different styles of mosaics, I still have a little extra fondness for Classical Roman style.

Last December I delivered in France a very classical piece named “Ubi tu Gaius”.



The classical “Ubi tu Gaius, Ego Gaia” meaning “Where and whenever you are Gaius, I'll be Gaia”was a marriage vow – the wife would pronounce it, and the husband would answer : “Ubi tu Gaia, Ego Gaius”, the reciprocal.

Ubi tu Gaius was a commission – a birthday present to his wife by a loving husband. It was built using the reverse method which allows the use of materials of different thickness and is made of ceramic, travertine and black granite.



If you are like me a lover of everything Roman, and would enjoy a very unique – and almost indestructible -  piece of Art for your home or garden, a mural or a floor mosaic, you can contact me by email at frederic.lecut@gmail.com or by phone at (334) 798 1639.  Together we will discuss your goals and wishes, come up with a design, and I will make your dream come true.

If your preferences are in more contenporary styles, please check my other pieces on my website mosaicblues


No comments:

Post a Comment