MosaicBlues: The Mosaics of Wat Chieng Thong .entry-content { font-size:25px !important; }

Friday, June 5, 2015

The Mosaics of Wat Chieng Thong

Wat Xieng Thong (or Temple of the Golden City) is a Buddhist Monastery located on the peninsula of Luang Phrabang in Laos. 

It was built in 1560. One of its unique features are the glass mosaics used for its decoration.

The back wall of the main practice hall is decorated with a beautiful mosaic of a Tree of Life. 






Detail of the Tree of Life mosaic



And the outer walls of the Sanctuary of the Reclining Buddha, also known as the Red Chapel, are also decorated with a great number of mosaics.


Wat Xieng Thong Red Chapel


Details of the Red Chapel Wall mosaics.



Detail of the Red Chapel mosaics.

These mosaics in the Opus Sextile style, have the particularity that their background was realized by filling up the gaps between the different represented subjects  with a red grout, hence the name of the Red Chapel ! 


I am a modern mosaic artist with a deep admiration for ancient Greek, Roman and Byzantine Arts. You can see my own mosaics on my site at mosaicblues




If you are interested by my work or would like to drop me a line please contact me by email at frederic.lecut@gmail.com or by phone at (334) 798 1639. 


You can also 
(and I recommend it !)








No comments:

Post a Comment