MosaicBlues: Touching mosaics .entry-content { font-size:25px !important; }

Friday, June 19, 2015

Touching mosaics



One very distinctive characteristics of mosaics versus other media, is that you can touch them. 
If you get in a museum, you cannot touch, actually, you often have people here to prevent you from touching. 
It is understandable, because no painting could be touched by hundreds of people without being destroyed. 


However, when it comes to children, they really need to touch things to fully REALIZE what stands in front of them. For Kids, seeing is not enough.

On June 19, 2015, we unveiled in Headland, Alabama a mosaic made by a group of 20 children. During the workshop, each kids had built a small mosaic with black and white tiles.


Individual mosaics


Later on, I had assembled the mosaics on one only panel. 


The Final Panel



Some of the kids who attended the presentation had not been involved with building. They really loved the final result, but what really was important to them was to be able to touch the final piece, and one small piece leftover from the workshop (I had a total of 21 pieces, and the final panel included 20 pieces).



I really love this picture...



This is a very important point in favour of mosaics as an art media for children. The tactile aspect is very important, this is how they best relate to their environment...



I am a modern mosaic artist with a deep admiration for ancient Greek, Roman and Byzantine Arts. I live, create and teach mosaics in Headland, Alabama, USA. You can see my own mosaics on my site at mosaicblues






If you are interested by my work, my classes or would like to drop me a line please contact me by email at frederic.lecut@gmail.com or by phone at 
(334) 798 1639. 

 
You can also 
(and I recommend it !)

No comments:

Post a Comment