MosaicBlues: Flipping the Mystery Mosaic .entry-content { font-size:25px !important; }

Sunday, August 7, 2016

Flipping the Mystery Mosaic



As Resident Artist of the Wiregrass Museum of Art, I installed the Mystery Mosaic last April. 

This mosaic, at 50 x 50" (125 x 125 cm) is the biggest baddest free standing piece I have designed to this date.  

The coolissime aspect of this project is that this Mosaic would be built by the Visitors to the Museum ! They were the very ones who would actually be laying the 4096 little tiles on the model I had designed without telling anyone what the final mosaic would be ! 

Hence the dramatic "Mystery Mosaic" name !

We had planned it would take 2 month to lay the 4,400 tiles of the mosaic. It took 10 days and a group of very dedicated High School students !

The Mosaic in designed in Opus Pixellatum was realized upside down. 

On July 21st, I flipped the piece diuring the Art after Hours event at the Museum and the public, including some who had participated in the building, were able to see it for the first time. 



Flipping the Mystery Mosaic from Frederic Lecut on Vimeo.


 

I am a French Mosaic artist based in Alabama. My Art is about Inspiring people, I am presently working on huge portraits of the eyes of Yezidi Refugees and on an other Mosaic Community Project involving several hundreds participants in partnership with Troy University in Dothan and the Wiregrass Museum of Art.

If you would like to discuss how to use mosaics to develop communities or are interested by other aspects of my work, please contact me by phone at (334) 798 1639 or by email at frederic.lecut@mosaicblues.com


You can also subscribe to my NEWSLETTER


No comments:

Post a Comment