MosaicBlues: Packing a mosaic for shipment. .entry-content { font-size:25px !important; }

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Packing a mosaic for shipment.


Last December I shipped Green Eyes to Dubai. 


As I wanted to make sure it would arrive intact I decided to handle the crating myself...

The material I used was : 
  • 2" x 4" x 8' yellow pine.
  • 1/2" pine plywood.
  • Light blue foam insulation (4 x 8' sheet).
  • Grey Foam Pipe Insulation.
  • Painter's tap.
  • 3" nails (to assemble the 2 x 4 frame).
  • 1 1/2" screws.

Tools : 
  • Electric Circular saw
  • Hammer.
  • Electric screwdriver
  • Carpet knife (to cut the foam)

I built a wooden crate 5" wider and longer and 2" higher (inside) than the mosaic. For the sides I used 2" x 4" pine lumber, for the top and bottom I used 1/2" plywood. 

At the bottom of the crate I placed a piece of 1/2" insulation foam - purchased from Lowes or Home depot.



I placed 3/4" pipe insulation foam around the mosaic frame.



Then added more blue insulation on top of the piece and on its bottom. I held everything together with painter's tape.


Placed the piece inside the crate, and inserted additional blue foam shims between the crate walls and the piece itself.


I added one layer of blue foam on top of the piece.



Then I screwed the plywood on top of the crate.


Screws are safer than nails. They hold things together much more securely. They are also much easier to remove with a screwdriver than nails would be with a pry bar, and this allows for the crate to be recycled for further transportation.


Green Eyes arrived  in perfect shape.


The cost of materials for this crate was $ 67.00, and I had some material leftover.


No comments:

Post a Comment