MosaicBlues: The Maze of Mosaics .entry-content { font-size:25px !important; }

Saturday, March 22, 2014

The Maze of Mosaics


On March 19, 2014, I had the pleasure to give a lecture about the building of the Nativity Labyrinth at the Wiregrass Museum of Art.

In 2004, by an unusual concourse of circumstances, I began building a 42 foot diameter Labyrinth in the cloister of the Church of the Nativity in Dothan, AL.






The Labyrinth is a very ancient symbol. Bronze Age engravings from around 4000 BC are reminiscent of it. Today's labyrinth are used as meditation and prayer path by spiritual seekers and as playground by children.

It took 14 month to complete the work. A great number of stones had to be cut and laid... This long lasting effort triggered something in me; inside and outside.

While working at this project, I met in France Jean Pierre Soalhat. His amazing mosaic work impressed me enormously. 



I decided to give a try at mosaics.

One of the first pieces I produced was a table inspired by the Labyrinth of the Chartres Cathedral.




The rest is history... Over the past 10 years I have greatly improved my technique and produced very different pieces. My first love however is still the Classical Roman style...

More of my mosaics can seen on my website mosaicblues. Some of my work is available for sale. I also work on commission. Together we will design your dream piece. A table, a mural, a floor piece which you and your family will enjoy for a very long time... 


If you would like to discuss the building of a labyrinth or commission a mosaic, please contact me at frederic.lecut@gmail.com



No comments:

Post a Comment